Whole roasted quail stuffed with Packham Triumph pears, coriander, ginger and cashew nuts
Preparation Time: N/A
Cooking Time: N/A
- 4 whole quail (we recommend Game Farm)
- 2 bunches bok choy or similar Asian style green, washed well and trimmed
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
Ingredients for the stuffing
- 2 cups homemade white bread crumbs
- 1 Packham’s Triumph pears, grated at the last minute
- ½ bunch fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 150g raw cashews, roughly chopped
- 3 long shallots, finely chopped, green part only
- 1 free range egg, lightly whisked
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
Recipe by David Bitton
Pre heat the oven to 200 degrees C.
For the stuffing, place all the ingredients except the egg and olive oil into a large ceramic bowl and mix well. Add the egg and olive oil, season and stir until the mixture is well combined.
Place the stuffing mixture evenly into the cavity of each bird and close off using a toothpick. Season the birds well with salt and pepper and place them into a large baking tray and into the pre heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until just cooked. Remove the baking tray from the oven and allow the birds to rest for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place a wok over a medium high heat and add the sesame oil. Add the bok choy and stir fry for 2 to 3 minutes or until just wilted.
To serve, divide the stir fried greens onto 4 plates and place a bird on top of each one. Pour over any juices left in the bottom of the baking tray. Serve immediately.